A Logo is the representative of a company. It describes the services, products, ideology, and so on through a simple and compact piece of graphics. Well, not actually graphics – it also can be a typography.
It doesn’t mean that we create a logo to avoid writing descriptions; that’s a different story. But, when we come across a known logo, it gives a flash of the products and services in our mind. How? That’s the skill of the logo design company.
Say, you see the ‘M’ of MacDonald’s (the logo) in a hoarding at the bus stop. Instantly you’ll get the flash of a yummy burger and your mouth will be watered. That’s the achievement! Read how Your Website Design Will Return Your Investment and go through the guide on Logo Design.
I don’t sell food items. How should be my logo?
It was just an example. The main purpose of a logo is branding. It should remind people about your company; your products; your services. It should be simple, attractive and descriptive; in simple, easy to remember but enough meaningful.
For example, only few of us have ever owned an iPhone. But, who can’t recognize the image of the apple with a bite? Every logo designing company should invest such creativity, uniqueness and memory-friendliness in their logo.
2D, 3D, Graphical, Typography – I’m confused which is best
You have jumped steps. There are things you must focus on before you think on these. Here is a check list for you. Go through it first and you will get the answer gradually.
- Simplicity: The first thing that you must follow is simplicity. Logo shouldn’t be difficult to remember or understand. Make it minimalistic and versatile.
- Memory-Friendliness: A simple logo is easy to remember. It should appear in your mind even when your eyes are closed. A logo won’t attract people if it’s jam-packed with graphics and texts.
- Lifespan: Logos aren’t developed every year. It should have long life – if not immortal. In simple, the logo should be future-proof.
- Versatility: Every company uses a single logo everywhere. So, keep in mind that it could be used in all mediums – web, print etc.
- Tone: The logo of a crane manufacturing company and a fashion designing company for lady would definitely be different. Decide, if your logo would be feminine or masculine; pink or grey; bold square font or slick tall font.
So, how do I start?
There’s no hard and fast rule. Everyone has their own way. Read Unbeatable Ideas to Make Your Website Design Compelling. However, most of the top web design companies follow some proven method. It may differ a bit from company to company, designer to designer.
- Enquire:Ask your client what he wants to focus most. It will give you the point from where you’ll start your journey. You should also know about the business type and target audience. The more you’ll know about the company, the better logo you can design.
- Research:Researching isn’t coping others logo. Don’t hesitate to research. Check similar logos in internet. It’ll give you some clues on how you can proceed or how your logo should be.
- Color Preference:Set what color would be best. It can vary depending upon several matters like product/service type, audience, region, culture, and preferred media and so on.
- Concept:When you have most of the primary factors fixed, proceed to the concept development part. Think how best you can input your creativity to develop a truly amazing and innovative logo – not by vast physical factors but by thought.
- Sketch:Make several drafts on a paper as per the concepts. Take a break and revise them again. You can also use your digital pen and pad if you have one. This drafting will give you a clear view of what you are going to design.
- Design: Pick up some of the best sketches from your draft and create a few designs. Fine tune them combining the data you got during the enquiry, research, color preference phase.
- Approval: Send the best pieces for approval of your client and make necessary changes as per the feedback. When there are several changes in a logo, I personally prefer to develop everything anew.
What should I consider during the designing process?
Yes, there several facts that you must have to consider. Know how to Take The Ecommerce Website Design Issues By The Horns to Grab The Market. The web design services your company provides might have some fixed rules or it can be custom for unique cases. For example, the number of designs, number of revisions, number of concepts, time to be invested and so on as per the value of the project, size of the business etc.